AWRC Wellbeing Accelerator
Helping startups bring health and wellbeing innovations to market
5 months hybrid (90% online)
he AWRC Wellbeing Accelerator is an R&D-focused programme that supports pre-revenue and early-stage companies* developing products or services with health and wellbeing applications that align with the AWRCs impact themes.
The programme is accessed via a competitive application process and provides the accepted cohort with a range of valuable support to help them get their innovation closer to market and/or enter new markets.
The programme does not take equity and is fully funded via University contributions and private sector sponsorship.
Based in Sheffield Hallam’s Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre, participants have access to world-class R&D capabilities to carry out design and rapid prototyping, through to precision engineering of prototype components.
The centre also houses laboratories for proof-of-concept testing and a clinical research floor to test innovations with end-users for usability assessments or initial pilot studies to support development of the evidence base.
The AWRC also leverages its ecosystem of supportive individuals and organisations to help startup founders to grow their networks; forge new collaborations and help to secure public and private investment.
Following the defined accelerator programme, the programme team will work with the cohort to develop collaborative grant funding applications - decided on a case by case basis following our assessment of the fit to the specific call criteria.
Funding & Benefits
Up to £20K R&D support
Up to £20k of funded R&D support, 0% equity, £0 match funding required, £0 state aid implications
1. Up to £20,000 of support to accelerate product development and market access - covers time with our academic delivery teams, related consumables and specialist external consultants (where required)
2. Access to our specialist facilities and high-end equipment.
3. Workshops on topics such as cyber security, artificial intelligence, selling into the NHS, medical device regulations and writing successful grant applications
4. Mentoring sessions from leading industry figures
5. Introductions to our investor network
6. Events and networking opportunities
7. Access to partner products and services
We do not make any direct investments, the focus is on supporting you in development of your product/service to make you more investable.
Number of Alumni Startups
Total Funding Raised by Startups